Indonesia National Program Coordinator
Earth Innovation Institute catalyzes innovative, large-scale transitions to low-emissions rural development in tropical forest regions. Through regional interventions, we strive to increase farm production, forest cover, fisheries yields, and rural household wellbeing while decreasing emissions of heat-trapping gases. We work with local partners and through our own resident staff to implement regional strategies for low-emission rural development in Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Indonesia, Mexico and Kenya.
EII seeks a leader with a compelling vision for how sustainable rural development can move forward in Indonesia and the passion and skills needed to implement that vision. The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to move comfortably between government, private, non-governmental and farm sectors, to think strategically, and to build and lead an inter-disciplinary team in Indonesia.
The Indonesia Country Coordinator will play a key senior role in leading and developing the work with, and advancing linkages between, agriculture and livestock supply chains, domestic policies & finance, and jurisdictional REDD+ initiatives in support of jurisdictional Low Emissions Rural Development (LED-R) strategies under development and implementation in Indonesia and, perhaps, other Asian countries.
S/he will work in close collaboration with EII’s partners that are contributing to the transition to LED-R systems in Indonesia and beyond, including agricultural sectors, national and subnational governments, private sector, non-governmental organizations, and academia. Similar efforts are underway in Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru.
- Lead the design and implementation of EII strategy to foster low-emission land use development in Indonesia under multiple initiatives, including the Forests Farms and Finance Initiative (3FI), the Sustainable Tropics Alliance (STA), the Governors Forests Task Force – Window A projects (GCF-A), and other projects;
- Lead the design and implementation of yearly work plans for the Indonesia program;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of EII’s global strategic plan;
- Lead/oversee fundraising activity for EII’s work in Indonesia;
- Research on land-use systems and the transition to LED-R and prepare reports and publications to support EII’s work in Indonesia;
- Build and maintain partnerships with agricultural sector organizations (e.g., producer associations), government actors (e.g., national and subnational agencies and governments, foreign donor countries), private companies (e.g., producers, processors and buyers), non-governmental organizations, and universities that are part of the transition to LED-R in Indonesia;
- Maintain current and thorough knowledge of relevant climate, forest and agriculture policy initiatives and processes and key scientific and technical issues and share knowledge with EII staff;
- Identify opportunities to strengthen policies and financial instruments to incentivize forest conservation and sustainable agriculture in Indonesia;
- Give presentations to technical and non-technical audiences, organize and coordinate meetings, workshops, and communication strategies tailored for different audiences (eg. private sector, government, smallholders);
- Lead or assist in the development of strategies and grant proposals to advance EII’s activities in Indonesia and globally; and
- Maintain contact with technical staff in collaborating organizations to exchange information, share resources and engage in joint activities in Indonesia and globally.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Position requires a master’s‐level or PhD training in environmental management, sustainability, agronomy, law, policy, other related field, or equivalent experience.
Experience: this position requires:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience working in sustainable agriculture and climate change policy (including REDD) in Indonesia;
- Proven ability and evidence of extensive diplomatic skills interacting with an array of stakeholders, such as (but not limited to) national and subnational governments, private sector, non-governmental organizations, and academia;
- Ability to oversee and undertake research on sustainable land-use, smallholder agriculture, LED-R at the jurisdictional level, REDD+, sustainable agriculture and related topics (desired by not mandatory);
- Knowledge on issues relevant to the position such as REDD+, agricultural sustainable supply chain initiatives and others that may be relevant;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to write for technical and non-technical audiences, and the ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team;
- Ability to develop and lead a multi-disciplinary team, and to manage multiple simultaneous tasks; and
- Must be fluent in Bahasa and English. Any of the following languages are highly desired: Chinese, Spanish and Portuguese.
Location: Indonesia (most likely Jakarta, but negotiable)
Application deadline: November 15, 2019 or until filled
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration: this is a full-time position
Compensation: Competitive, based on qualifications and experience
Application Instructions: Please send cover letter referencing Job# 10-05-62-DCN19, curriculum vitae, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com. Please reference Job# 10-05-62-DCN19 in the subject line of the email.